Skip to main content

Together We Read

Over the next several months the City of Paterson will be engaging
in an extremely exciting experience. Imagine...everyone in the city
reading and discussing the same book!!
That’s what ONE BOOK ONE PATERSON is all about! The National
Endowment for the Arts Big Read program has afforded Paterson the
opportunity to read Ernest J. Gaines’ A Lesson Before Dying as a
collective body. The book is the late author’s eighth novel, published
in 1993. It is a fictional work based in part on the life of Willie Francis,
a black teenager sentenced to death twice in Louisiana. There are a
number of significant themes running throughout the novel including:
constructive lying, religion, cynicism and hope, women and femininity,
education and “The Inescapable Path.” All these themes set the tone
for awesome topics of discussion.
Spearheaded by a group of community stakeholders the citizens of
Paterson will partake in a variety of special events planned around
this wonderful novel. Some of the events include book talks, online
discussions, book clubs, theatrical performances, and essay and art
contests.
The book can be borrowed from the Paterson Public Library or
you can receive a copy of your own when you attend the ONE
BOOK ONE PATERSON launch event on Thursday, February 6,
2020 in the Assembly Room of the Danforth Free Public
Library, 250 Broadway, Paterson, NJ 07501.
Community Partners who are interested in hosting a Book Club or
other event should complete the interest survey found here.

Comments

  1. I'm half way through the book and looking forward to some robust discussions!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Are You Waiting For?

Have you read A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest Gaines yet? All of Paterson is reading this book for the One Book One Paterson campaign. Before the campaign launched in February, I searched online for an audio version but with no luck. So, I downloaded and listened to the play instead. The play, based on the book, was easy to listen to in the car. Although it is very emotional and a tearjerker in some places, it was good distraction for my trips to Trenton, up and down the Parkway and Turnpike.  In fact, I listened to nothing else on the car radio while I was driving alone. Some evenings I would pull into my driveway and sit there listening for a while until I got to the end of the chapter. My husband would call from inside the house to see if I’m OK. (After so many years you’d think he expected this by now!) Once the campaign launched, I knew I would have to make the time to read the actual book. I’m about halfway through and WOW! This an awesome piece of literature! While i...

Community Building Through Literacy

The National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) has developed a program called the Big Read. The idea is based on a simple question: What if everyone in the city read the same book? No matter who you meet, you’d have something to talk about. We’d all have another layer to add to our shared experiences. It could be amazing to have us all rooting for the same protagonist, puzzling the same plots, enjoying a collective climax--literary climax. I suspect that everyone will come away from the book with slightly different interpretations since we each have our life experiences that will, undoubtable, filter the experience that we have while reading. Those filters are part of what makes reading the same book all the more exciting. Cities all over the nation are participating in the Big Read. Each city has adopted a name and a book. Our name is One Book One Paterson . Our slogan is Turning the page. Our book is A Lesson Before Dying by Earnest Gaines. Participants in the  NEA’s Bi...